Referring to my original post about the 7 deadly sins, the first of the great sins is known as LUST. In the post, “Origins of the Seven Deadly Sins”, I described LUST as:
Lust – Latin: Luxuria, Animal: Cow, Colour: Blue
Lust is a strong desire to be with someone. It is a powerful motivator. It is not the same as love. Lust is not being aware of the consequences of your desire. The act of lust can cause danger.
So what exactly is LUST?
According to the definition above, lust is an obsession based around an individual seeking personal pleasure and gratification without thought to how it may affect other people. Lust does not have to be sexual in nature, but all too often it is associated with sexuality. This is because lust is most often associated with a craving for bodily pleasure.
Various Definitions of Lust:
- Strong unrealistic yearning for something
- When craving becomes desperate and excessive
- Uncontrolled sexual desire bordering on lecherous
- A passionate and intense desire
- Strong and intense sexual desire
Why is Lust classed as a sin and by whom?
In religious terms, lust is a sinful longing, originating and residing in the heart. The heart of course represents the essence of man. Lust can therefore, according to Christian teachings, erode the soul, as it affects deeply the morality of man.
Lust compared to other emotions of love and greed
Lust can be better understood when compared to other positive emotions such as like and love. In itself lust is almost the complete opposite of love, just as hate is considered the opposite of love. Lust contradicts love in terms of the motives behind what you will do to achieve what you want.
Where love motivates you to do almost anything, even at your own expense for the person you desire, lust motivates you to do almost anything for your personal gain and desire. In this context, lust is closely related to greed, which is an undesirable factor when it comes to nurturing the soul.
Many religious scriptures, of all backgrounds, suggest that the way to overcome lust is to concentrate on the needs of others, this way your heart becomes filled with love instead of selfish needs of desire leading to lustful yearning.
- Consider the real differences between love and lust and think about what you want for the long term future. Lust is usually a short term intense desperate craving which can be confused for love. Do you want to feel the security of gentle love which grows and nurtures your soul or the vanity and emptiness of lust which only serves to leave you feeling deflated as your personal unrealistic fantasy can never really be fulfilled.
- Allow your intelligence to take over when you are filled with desire. Connect with your inner self and cultivate good relationships for the long term instead of thinking short term fulfillment of unrealistic desires. By allowing your common sense to take over, you are allowing your soul the respect you deserve.
- Keep the appropriate company with real people, getting to know them as warm personalities instead of focusing on their body parts. This is not to say that you cannot admire parts of a body but if you know that this will become an obsession which may spiral out of control, then actively seek to focus on the personality of the person you fantasize about.
- Following on from the point of other people, instead of flirting, if this is your tendency, try to get to know the real person. Flirting itself is simply a fleeting action and gives rise to unrealistic expectations for the other person to be your dream figure instead of allowing them to be the person they really are.
- Avoid Pornography – It portrays men and women as sexual objects of desire instead of warm people you can love. After all, if you wish to be loved for who and what you are, so do the people in the imagery you seek to fulfil your unrequited desire. You can never compare to the air brushed imagery – because that is exactly what it is – airbrushed.
- If your feelings of lust become overpowering, direct this passion towards a useful hobby instead of sexual craving. When properly targeted, this intense type of lust can become a useful passion, especially if it is geared towards creating something you have always desired. Devotion towards a useful passionate hobby serves positively in that your creative side becomes more active thus allowing you to succeed in your chosen field rather than as fuel for your own selfishness.
So with all this information you are now ready to use your lust is a positive way.
The Seven Deadly Sins Series
This begins with “Origins of the Seven Deadly Sins“
2. Overcoming Gluttony as One of the Seven Deadly Sins | 3. Overcoming Greed as One of the Seven Deadly Sins | 4. Overcoming Sloth as One of the Seven Deadly Sins | 5. Overcoming Wrath as One of the Seven Deadly Sins | 6. Overcoming Envy as One of the Seven Deadly Sins | 7. Overcoming Pride as One of the Seven Deadly Sins |
HOME | What is Prayer? | Ghost of the Present | Mind-set | Dreams | Believe in Yourself | Aims for Life | Self-respect | Be Yourself | Actions Speak Louder than Words | Emotional Maturity | Beauty and the Beast | Spiritual Awakening | Links |