“My greatest challenge has been to change the mind-set of people. Mind-sets play strange tricks on us. We see things the way our minds have instructed our eyes to see.”
The type of mind-set you keep yourself accustomed to is an affluent part of your lifestyle. You can easily get used to a certain type of mind-set and end up limiting your options if you refuse to allow fresh ideas to influence your thoughts.
Freshness of a mind-set
The type of thoughts we have influence our feelings which therefore keep us locked in the regular way of thinking we develop over time. It is simply easier to add to the current mind-set than to re-evaluate the entire structure. As humans we can be rather prone to laziness.
Much of the time we get stuck in a certain way of thinking. This is because thinking in a certain way becomes a habit. Thoughts make up the structure of our mind-set. If you were brought up with your caregiver constantly berating you, or not encouraging you, chances are you have a low self-esteem. To gain more confidence in life you would need to learn to first change your thoughts and build them up to create a positive mind-set.
To bring about a fresh approach to your way of thinking, try the following:
- Without influencing them, pay attention to the type of thoughts just running through your head. Are they positive such as “I can do this…” or more along the lines of “oh no – not again…”
- Ask yourself what is making you think in this way. Try to remember what caused you to feel down about something.
- When you understand the reason behind your negative thoughts, you will be in a position to challenge it and invert it to make it positive. For example “I can’t possibly do this!” into “I can do this!” or “I will do this!”
There have been many studies in this area. Carol Dweck is one of the leading experts on mind-set. Her research shows that you can possess a growth mind-set if you want. If you choose to remain stagnant in your mind-set, this is entirely your own choice.
People who make an effort to make a change are the successful ones. When you want a goal badly enough, one of the first things you have to do is to create the right mind-set to achieve that goal. This approach can power you up for the long haul.
Achieving the right mind-set means positive thinking and assurance as well as learning from your failures instead of using those failures as an excuse to give up on your goal.
- Have you ever tried to change your mind-set to achieve something?
- Did you successfully overcome the obstacles in your way?
- Did you notice that the obstacles you overcame were mostly psychological blocks you had inadvertently placed yourself?
Get your mind geared up for that goal you have always wanted to achieve.